Thursday, May 14, 2009

inked and pierced



Becoming more and more trendy in our culture is young people getting tattoos and untraditional piercings. I recently addressed this in our student mininstry because of their own questions about these "body enhancements". I use that phrase because i think many less controversial alterations fall into this same catagory... dying the hair, piercing one hole in the ear lobe, make up tattoos, breast enlargement/reduction, tummy tucks, etc. Here's the truth. If you are a believer in Jesus then your body and your life is not your own, it belongs to God. 1Corinthians 6:19 states this, and I know the context is sexual imorality, but the truth still applies. Since the body is not our own and was bought at a price, then permission is required before altering right?
I don't believe that altering our bodies brings us closer(circumcision Gal.5:2) or farther away from holiness. I think that scripture teaches that it is the condition of our heart. In some cultures I think it's wrong to get a tattoo or provocative piercing, because it would hinder relationships with people and if our hearts are right, relationships are far more valuable than our personal preferences. Maturity and wisdom says that it's just not worth the risk when it comes to parental, grandparent relationships, church relationships etc. In other cultures there may be no issue or hindrance at all. It is very similar to Paul's issue of meat sacrificed to idols in scripture. Paul thought the meat was Ok to eat, but because it was a problem for some, he chose not to. This takes matruity and obedience to sacrifice freedoms for the sake of others and the gospel.

So the questions to ask before getting pierced and inked are these:

What is the condition of my heart? rebellious? Prideful? Conceited? Defiant?
Does it honor God?
How will it effect my culture (relationships)?
Will it hinder my purpose, mission, ministry, career?
Does my spouse approve? If single I advise to wait until marriage before considering the tattoo or alteration.

No comments: